The Alzheimer's Foundation of America initiated National Commemorative Candle Lighting as part of its vision to join Americans together for care.
By illuminating the nation with "candles of care" in communities from coast to coast, AFA emphasizes its mission: "to provide optimal care and services to individuals confronting dementia, and to their caregivers and families."
With this national expression of solidarity, AFA hopes to:
- Remember individuals who have passed away as a result of Alzheimer's
disease and related dementias
- Honor the as many as 5.1 million Americans who are currently living
with Alzheimer's disease
- Pay tribute to family caregivers who valiantly care for their loved
- Raise awareness of Alzheimer's disease and related dementias,
including the importance of early detection
- Highlight the availability of support services in local communities
- Emphasize the need to share the care related to this disease